Published 02/12/2024 10:32 | Edited 02/12/2024 11:24
Amidst the scenario of devastation and horror in the Gaza Strip, where more than 30 thousand Palestinians, including women and children, were victims of attacks by the Israeli army, the São Paulo Doctors’ Union (SOMESP) is leading an initiative of solidarity and demand for peace and justice.
As of January 1, 2024, 374 healthcare professionals have been killed, while another 150 have been detained or kidnapped, and 102 ambulances have been bombed. Faced with this scenario of war and destruction, doctors and other health professionals work tirelessly, facing air attacks and risking their own lives to save others.
In a gesture of support and solidarity with Palestinian health professionals and the civilian population of Gaza, SIMESP launched a manifesto demanding urgent measures to put an end to the ongoing genocide. The manifesto asks:
- Immediate cease fire;
- Unconditional end to the blockade of Gaza;
- Severance of diplomatic relations with Israel.
To support this cause and sign the manifesto, Brazilian doctors and health professionals are collecting signatures, seeking to draw attention to the seriousness of the situation and press for concrete actions to end the suffering of the Palestinian people.
International solidarity is essential in times like these, and SIMESP is committed to amplifying the voices of health professionals and demanding urgent measures to put an end to the violence and destruction in Gaza.
To sign the manifesto and show your support, visit the link https://acess.dev/R8DTY and SIMESP on Instagram (@simesp_medicos) and be part of this fight for justice and peace.
Situation of health professionals on the weekend
New events this weekend further worsened the humanitarian crisis in the region. In the south of the Strip, the Nasser Medical Complex recorded the loss of two lives while intense gunfights persist nearby, putting the lives of patients and healthcare professionals at risk.
The Palestinian Red Crescent was the target of a devastating attack in the Tal al-Hawa area of Gaza City, resulting in the deaths of two staff members on board an ambulance. Yusuf Zeino and Ahmed Al-Madhoun, who had been missing since they went on a mission to rescue 6-year-old girl Hind Ragab 12 days ago, were found dead. The ambulance was deliberately bombed by the occupation forces, even after prior coordination to allow the arrival at the scene and rescue of the Hind girl.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) expressed deep sadness at the deaths of Yusuf, Ahmed and little Hind, along with their family. “Our deepest condolences go out to the loved ones of Hind and her family, and to those of Yusuf and Ahmed. Civilians must be protected,” the ICRC said in a statement.
The United Nations Palestine Refugee Agency (OHCHR) also expressed concern over the raid and detention of staff by Israeli forces at Al-Amal Hospital in Khan Younis. The situation further exacerbates the collapse of Gaza’s healthcare system, resulting from operations targeting hospitals and severe restrictions on essential humanitarian supplies.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has documented 721 attacks on healthcare in the Occupied Palestinian Territory since October 7, with 357 attacks occurring in Gaza. “Rescuers risk their lives every day to support the people of Gaza; They should never fear being killed while carrying out their life-saving work,” said WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic.
War zone doctor and associate professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, Annie Sparrow, highlighted that Israel’s destruction of Gaza’s healthcare system constitutes not only an accusation of genocide, but also a crime of flagrant war that must be tried by the International Criminal Court (ICC). Sparrow highlighted the prohibition of attacks that cause excessive harm to civilians, as stipulated by international humanitarian law.