US President stated that the Strait of Hormuz is “open” and that the naval blockade remains active

US President Donald Trump (Republican Party) said that he does not hold talks with Iran’s leaders and that there are no negotiations scheduled with the country. In a publication on the Truth Social network this Tuesday (18.Aug.2026), the republican also stated that the Strait of Hormuz remains open.

Trump also stated that the naval blockade imposed on the Persian country is active. According to him, all water explosives installed in the region have been removed.

On August 14, Trump raised the tone by announcing that he wants to declare the Strait of Hormuz as a “territory” of the United States. The strait is a strategic shipping lane for the global supply of oil, natural gas and fertilizers.

On Monday (Aug 17), the 60-day memorandum of understanding between the 2 parties expired. Trump told reporters he would not seek an extension of the terms. Since then, he has shown no willingness for new negotiations.

The memorandum was signed on June 17, 2026 with the aim of promoting a ceasefire and reopening, at least partially, the Strait of Hormuz. Shortly afterwards, the agreement ended in collapse, when both sides resumed attacks. On July 8, 2026, Trump declared that the ceasefire was “over” and called the Iranian leadership “slag” e “crazy”after new episodes of confrontation.

Source: https://www.poder360.com.br/poder-internacional/apos-fim-de-memorando-de-paz-trump-diz-que-nao-conversa-com-ira/



Leave a Reply