Iran’s supreme leader there Khamenei meets a group of authorities in Tehran, Iran [Divulgação/Gabinete do Líder Supremo Iraniano]

Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, promised on Monday (31) a “firm response” if the United States attack the Iranian territory. The speech took place in Tehran at the end of the Ramadan, the sacred month of Muslim fasting.

“They are threatening to cause damage … If so, there will certainly be a firm answer,” Khamenei said, not directly mentioning US President Donald Trump. However, his words were seen as a retaliation of the recent Washington threats.

Trump reaffirms pressure on tehran

On Sunday (30), Trump stated in an interview with NBC News that “there will be bombing” in Iran if the country does not accept a new nuclear agreement with the United States. “If they do not sign an agreement, there will be bombing,” he emphasized.

During his first term, between 2017 and 2021, Trump withdrew the US from the nuclear agreement signed in 2015 between Tehran and Western powers, restoring economic sanctions against Iran. Since then, the Iranian nuclear program has advanced, surpassing the limits imposed by the original treaty.

Diplomatic tensions and Iranian response

Iran sent an answer through Oman to Trump’s recent requirement, according to Iranian Foreign Minister Araqchi Abbas. Tehran’s official position is that there will be no direct negotiations with Washington, but the country is willing to dialogue indirectly.

In an official statement, Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Ministry, Esmaeil Baghaei, harshly criticized American threats: “An open threat of ‘bombing’ by a head of state against Iran is a shocking affront to the very essence of peace and international security.”

USA expand offensive in the Middle East

In addition to the growing tension with Iran, the United States also maintains an offensive against the Houthis rebels in Yêmem. Trump threatened the group to cease attacks against ships or “will face real pain” with new air bombing.

“We attack them every day and nights – more and stronger. Our attacks will continue until they are no longer a threat to freedom of navigation,” Trump said in a publication on social networks.

The US government blames Iran for supporting Houthis and stresses that military actions in the region aim to ensure maritime safety and contain Tehran’s influence on the Middle East. In turn, Iran denies direct involvement with the attacks of the rebel group and denounces American operations as an attempt to destabilize the region.

The climb of threats between Tehran and Washington raises international concerns about the possibility of a new armed conflict in the Middle East.

Source: vermelho.org.br



Leave a Reply