Published 02/19/2026 10:37
British police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, a former member of the United Kingdom’s royal family, on Thursday (19) on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrest took place at the residence where he was staying, in Sandringham, in the county of Norfolk.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said that “a man in his sixties, resident of Norfolk, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office” and that searches are being carried out at addresses in the counties of Berkshire and Norfolk.
According to the corporation, the detainee remains in police custody. The police also stated that they will not formally disclose the name of the prisoner, following national guidelines, and warned of the need for caution in covering the case, as the investigation is ongoing.
Unmarked vehicles and plainclothes officers were seen on Thursday morning at the Sandringham estate where Mountbatten-Windsor was staying. The arrest took place on the day he turned 66 years old.
According to the Press Association, neither the king nor Buckingham Palace were informed in advance about the police action.
In an official statement, King Charles III stated that he received the news with “the deepest concern” and declared that “the law must take its course”. In the statement, the monarch said that the case will be handled through a “complete, fair and appropriate process” and that the authorities have the “full and unrestricted support and cooperation” of the royal family.
The king added that he will not make any further comments while the process is ongoing.
Members of the British government also spoke out. Prime Minister Keir Starmer said “no one is above the law” and that the investigation must take place in accordance with usual procedures.
Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy told the BBC that the case is now a police investigation and should follow “the normal path”.
According to Thames Valley Police, the investigation is looking into allegations of sharing confidential material during the period in which Mountbatten-Windsor served as UK trade envoy.
Authorities did not release specific details about the content of the information under review. The corporation’s assistant chief, Oliver Wright, stated that the investigation was opened after a “thorough evaluation” of the allegations and highlighted the importance of preserving “the integrity and objectivity” of the process, given the high public interest.
The case is related to recent developments involving American financier Jeffrey Epstein, following the partial disclosure of documents by the United States Department of Justice. Mountbatten-Windsor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
After the arrest, the family of Virginia Giuffre — victim of the sexual exploitation scheme led by financier Jeffrey Epstein and one of the women who reported abuse involving Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor — released a statement stating that the episode demonstrates that “no one is above the law — not even royalty”.
In the statement, family members thanked the British police for the investigation and arrest of the former member of the royal family.
Civil society groups also reacted. The organization Republic, which advocates the end of the monarchy in the United Kingdom, stated that it had been pressuring the authorities to investigate the case and stated that it would continue to provide information related to the allegations.
Mountbatten-Windsor stopped performing official functions of the monarchy after losing his titles and honors at the end of 2025, amid the repercussions of the Epstein case. He remains, however, eighth in line to the British throne.
Experts interviewed by the local press say that the former royal member could be detained for up to 96 hours, subject to court authorization. If you are convicted of misconduct in public office, the maximum penalty under British law is life imprisonment.
Source: vermelho.org.br