Published 02/19/2026 17:50 | Edited 02/19/2026 20:10
In a paradoxical attitude, the President of the United States, Donald Trump, announced this Thursday (19), during the first meeting of his Peace Council, that he will invest US$10 billion in the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip to put an end to the war. However, it has also threatened to attack Iran if a nuclear deal is not reached.
Recalling the attack on Iran last year, Trump sent a message: “Good conversations are being had, we have to make a meaningful deal. I’ll figure out what to do in about ten days. They can’t have a nuclear weapon. Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path to peace. Iran has to make a deal or bad things will happen.”
The American president also called on Hamas to hand over its weapons: “If you do not return your weapons, you will be treated harshly.”
The council is made up of: Israel, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, Hungary, Morocco, Pakistan, Indonesia, Kosovo, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Paraguay, Vietnam, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Belarus.
Also read: Israel again violates the ceasefire in an attack on the Gaza Strip
At the meeting, seven countries committed to sending US$7 billion for humanitarian aid in the Gaza Strip. Trump has not announced how the resources donated by the United States will be invested. The event was not attended by Western European leaders.
According to international agencies, the meeting had a tone of self-promotion. Trump highlighted war resolutions he says he pushed forward.
In an interview with AFPHamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said the Council should force Israel to “put an end to its (ceasefire) violations in Gaza” and lift the blockade on the territory.
Culpa
“The very creation of the Peace Council itself is already an attempt, even deliberate, to build a parallel UN, devoid of any principle of sovereignty, international legality or real multilateralism. It is the submission of nations to the absolute control of the United States with Israel as a privileged strategic partner in this concert”, assesses the vice-president of the Brazil-Palestine Institute, Marcos TenĂłrio Sayid.
For him, the allocation of resources by the United States sounds like an acknowledgment of guilt.
“This is because the United States is the supporting and financing partner of the Israeli genocide in the Gaza Strip, directly responsible for the total destruction of infrastructure, thousands of homes and the extermination of more than 300 thousand people”, he criticizes.
TenĂłrio also recalled that this Thursday the United States announced that it intends to build a military base with 5,000 soldiers.
“In other words, this investment is not for the reconstruction of Gaza, but to establish its control mechanisms in the region, which involves bases and the transfer of military, technology and communication equipment”, he says.
Source: vermelho.org.br